Top places to visit
When planning your first visit in Slovenia, you must be asking yourself what are the top places that you should not miss during your stay. Of course it depends whether you like active holidays or you prefer guided tours. But whatever your preferences, you absolutely have to visit the following:
1. Capital of Slovenia, Green Capital of Europe 2016! With less than 300.000 people Ljubljana is among the smallest capitals in Europe. Situated in the centre of Slovenia by Ljubljanica river, it was first mentioned already 2000 years ago as an ancient Roman town, Emona.
You will love walking around the old town centre following the small narrow streets and admiring its architecture: Prešeren square, Three bridges, Franciscan church, Cathedral, Main market, Town Hall, Opera House, National Library etc. Ljubljana castle on the top of the hill offers a beautiful view of the valley and the marshes where by the legend, Ljubljana dragon used to live.
2. Bled, a fairytale town with a lake and a small island in the middle, is definately the most famous place for tourists in Slovenia. You will enjoy walking around the lake, visiting its castle above the lake or even rowing to its island.
3. Piran is another small quent town situated on the Adriatic Coast. Slovenia has only 46 km of coastline, but Piran makes it worth a visit. Influenced by Venetian architecture and a birth place of Guiseppe Tartini, the famous Italian composer, Piran is among favorite destinations for many tourists.
4. Postojna cave with 21 kilometers of underground galleries, passages and halls of limestone sculptures will amaze you. There you can also visit a unique human fish or olm that lives only in the darkness of the cave.
Only a few kilometers down the road you can enjoy another beautiful place, Predjama castle, perched in a cliff.
5. Whether you are a sport fan or you prefer historical sites, you should visit Soča valley in the Westen part of Slovenia. The emerald colour river Soča is known among sports entusiasts who come there for rafting, kayaking or canyoning. It is also famous as a world top destination for fly fishing.
While hikers and cyclists can enjoy exploring the Walk of Peace (dedicated to the memory of the 1st WW), tourists will love visiting war museums, river gorges and other cultural and historic sites.
Visit all the top places in Slovenia and more with a group. Departures are every day from Ljubljana. Private tours can be arranged if you travel in a group or you prefer a private guide for yourself. All other languages are available on request.
Read more ideas about what to visit in Top places to visit in Western Slovenia.
About Slovenia Activity Holidays
Slovenia Activity Holidays - Slovénie Verte (in French) was is run by Andy, born in France but went to school in UK. Living in Slovenia for the past 20 years, he loves all that this country has to offer and he wants to share this entusiasm with everybody around the world .
He offers active holidays for individuals and groups, as well as personalised advice so as to better prepare your trip to Slovenia. All offers are done by local tour operators with no commission or extra fees.
You can follow all updates on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and blog e-slovenie.